My Feed, Stay Updated

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thoughts on my Generation

Its hard to grasp monetary issues from the perspective from my generation. My generation consists those who grew up in the 90's watching Power Rangers, Doug, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Batman, Wishbone, etc. Im talking about the generation that grew up with parents who went through the dot-com bubble, real estate boom, and made a crap ton of money. Im talking about the generation that has gone from work hard for money, to give-me-money. I believe the people in my generation are stuck in a paradigm of "Give me money, so I can spend money". I grew up in the 90's and saw all my friends around me never have to worry about money while I on the other hand did struggle. My family never had a windfall from the growing economy or lump of cash in the bank. Today I am so thankful I learned how to manage my money from a young age, not because I wanted too, but because I had too.  I look around at my friends now and they still receive money from their parents. Their parents pay for their rent, car insurance, phone bills, college tuition and food. Its depressing to watch my friends spend every dollar they earn at the bar and drugs. I believe in generational shifts; let me explain. Those who grew up in the 60's and 70's rebelled and did a whole lot of drugs. Ever wonder why? Its because their parents grew up in the 30's and 40's and experienced war, depression, death and chaos. This brought on the 50's and post war America didn't want to do anything related to war and death. This is why in the 50's we saw the "Little boxes on the hillside". The suburbs took off and those who went through the 30's and 40's now wanted to relax with a martini in hand. Now, the children who grew up with these parents rebelled to the mundane way of life. They saw their parents do nothing except work, drive their Cadillacs, live in their boring homes, and live in a happy-go-lucky way of life. For the teens, this was unbearable and we move on to the next generation. This is why the 60's and 70's was so wild and different from the 50's. The 80's saw lots of political problems and anarchy across many different countries. Which then produced the 90's. The 90's actually was stabilized due in part by better government and growth in the economy. This is when I was born. 1988. For the most part, the 90's was a money making decade and money flowed like honey. Now to get to my point about my generation. Because of this excess growth in wealth, we were spoiled. That's right, as a whole, my generation was spoiled hardcore. Finally we get to 2011. Where those born in the late 80's and 90's are now in their 20's and in college. We have no idea what money is, or how to treat it. This generation is lost when it comes to cash. So where do we go from here? What will the next generation learn from this generation? Well as many fear, a monetary crisis my be looming. Perhaps the next generation will learn from my generation. As for me and my family, I will teach my children the ways of investing, saving, keeping what I earn and passing down not only money but knowledge. So follow me on this journey of life, and keep up with my blog. Let me teach you what I learn as I go along. Im still in college and learning everyday about the world in which I live. I want to help others out there that grew up in the the 90's and feel completely lost on this touchy subject of money.
Have a good day, sorry about the long article.
 (^_^)

No comments:

Post a Comment